Thursday, January 15, 2015

Machu Picchu, Peru -Majestic Mountain



My expertise of a mother booked an exciting trip to Machu Picchu this spring break of 2015! I first I wasn't so excited to go, but I'm most definitely coming around! When I heard about taking a 4 day hike on the Inca trail...thats when I got hyped!Machu Picchu is an exotic Inca city on the top of the Andes mountains. The site stretches about five miles across. The little town was a secret that was only known to peasants living in the area. It is made up of about 150 stone building from houses to grand temples. 

The Top!
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machu_Picchu


My family and I will be hiking for 3-4ish days, sleeping in tents on the side of the trail. Donkeys carry our luggage (which consists of clothes, toiletries, and other stuff) and we hike along with a guide, and chef, and other friends. While on the big mountain, we still get breakfast, lunch, and dinner which is cooked in front of us! Since we will be "intense hiking" with not a lot of time for rest, we have to soak our feet in hot water every night. Sounds crazy right! My mom purchased my family brand new hiking boots for this trip...so it better be a good, tough hike. I find it funny that my family has never camped in a tent together, EVER! This will be interesting. We get thin mattresses so that will be a major plus! 


If you were wondering… Machu Picchu is located in the Cusco Region in Urubamba. We will fly into Lima (the capital of Peru) then explore around there for a bit! That section of the trip will be kinda short because we have to fly in to Cusco early due to "adjusting to the elevation." Lots of people when they hike the Inca trail, they suffer from elevation/mountain sickness; so to prevent that, were flying into Cusco early. I honestly think we will be just fine...we live in Park City, UT anyways. 

Lima
http://www.ccisabroad.org/program.php?link=peru_lima



After our gnarly hike, we are planning on going back to Lima and lounge on the coast. That will be a good time to practice my spanish speaking skills! 

No comments:

Post a Comment