Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hallstatt Austria- Swiss Chalet






Pulling in to  the Hallstatt parking lot in our rental was unearthly because of the size of the village. We couldn't drive around because it's so tiny. We stayed in a little hotel in the town square, that was perfectly perched among the mountain top. The night we arrived, I ate a spectacular dinner consisting of fresh trout straight out of the nearby lake. (That dinner made up for the eerie vibe I got from the place originally.) Speaking of that lake, let me tell you a little story. There is a small park that is right beside the lake, with a diving board into the tranquil water. My brother and I decided to check it out; because we saw a lady out in the water going for a nice graceful swim.  Little did we know, she was wearing a wet suit. We suited up in our swim gear (a bikini, and trunks) and prepared. Well, I wanted to be the first to jump it, you know, be the "bravest!" I took a a big step on the board and launched myself into the water. When I was completely dunked under, I felt my neck freeze up. As I came above the surface, the cold, Austrian, Mountain air struck my face, and I was absolutely frozen. I played it cool... but man, that water was probably the chilliest I have ever encountered. Now I can say I completed the REAL polar plunge!
Overview
I got this picture from Wikipedia
"Hallstatt." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 18 Oct. 2014. Web. 22 Oct. 2014.

Exploring around was a blast. So many bungalows and buildings stacked upon each other. Its was so cozy and comforting. Words can't explain how perfectly unorganized it was. There was this church that sat higher up in the hills, it took quite a walk to get there. It looked like a classic church with a picture perfect clock engraved into the hard rock. Inside of the church were painted skulls.  I guess you could call that a dissimilar graveyard?
Painted Skulls
Got this picture from gallstattaustria.net
"The Painted Skulls of Hallstatt." Hallstatt. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2014.

The weather was cold and nipping,  it felt so good to snuggle up in a blanket and look through the window and out onto the lake. The only downer is they don't speak English. My brother and I always felt so confused when we heard them talk fast, foreign gibberish. We wanted to confuse them like they confused us. So, we started speaking random sentences really speedy and loud to get the surrounding Austrian's attention. Sadly they had a fairly good understanding of english, and we like the goons.

For those of you who have never been to Austria or Europe, the mountains are super pointy and intimidating. Way different from America, but change is good, right?

 Out of all the places I have travelled, Hallstatt Austria was by far the most original. I'm so lucky to have travelled to that special little town.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete